Reducing a Felony to a Misdemeanor with a California Criminal Lawyer’s Help

Opinions in blog posts are the sole opinions of the author and do not reflect the views or opinions of 1.800.NoCuffs and The Kavinoky Law Firm.

Those who have been convicted of a felony for a wobbler crime or who are charged with such a crime have a great interest in getting a felony reduced to a misdemeanor. In California, it is possible to have a court reduce some felony convictions to misdemeanor conviction after the fact. Several crimes, such as a DUI/DWI or being an accessory after the fact to a felony are known as wobbler crimes because they can be prosecuted either as a felony or a misdemeanor. With the help of an experienced California criminal lawyer, it is often possible to change or avoid a felony conviction in favor of a misdemeanor.

There are several reasons why a misdemeanor conviction is better than being convicted of a felony. A felony conviction carries a minimum jail sentence of one year in a county of state prison as well as a usual fine of $10,000, convicts lose their right to vote and carry a weapon in the future, and they must report being a convicted felon when asked in the future. On the other hand, the maximum time in jail for a misdemeanor is one year though it can be a little as none, the maximum fine is $1,000, no rights are forfeited, and you don’t have to report a misdemeanor conviction to potential employers.

Fortunately, experienced criminal defense lawyers who understand the finer points of California sentencing laws and penal codes can often reduce lesser felony’s to misdemeanors after conviction. This means you could enjoy an altered sentence, have the crime expunged from your record, and begin getting your life closer to normal. Similarly, anyone charged with a wobbler crime should put extra effort into finding a California criminal lawyer who has the expertise and resources to prioritize ensuring that the crime is tried as a misdemeanor. If you are unsure about whether your crime is a wobbler or not, the best strategy is to contact a legal expert who can determine your status and begin the process of reducing the charge or conviction.